Talk to an attorney

This Is An Advertisement

Firm Update: We remain open and are accepting new clients. In response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering video and telephone consultations. Please call or email our office to discuss your options.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Brain Injuries And Catastrophic Injuries
  4.  » Woman arrested for DUI a year after fatal Hwy. 146 crash

Woman arrested for DUI a year after fatal Hwy. 146 crash

| Mar 24, 2020 | Brain Injuries And Catastrophic Injuries

It’s been just over a year since a 14-year-old Pendleton boy succumbed to injuries he suffered in a head-on crash on Highway 146 near Jackson Road. Now, the woman who was driving the pickup truck that hit the vehicle he was in has been charged with DUI.

The two vehicles were going in opposite directions when the crash occurred in March 2019, according to Kentucky State Police. There were a total of eight people in both vehicles. Six of them were children. It’s not clear how many, if any, children were in the pickup truck with the woman now charged with DUI.

Shortly after the crash, police said that one of the vehicles had crossed over the line in to oncoming traffic. However, they didn’t know initially which one it was.

Both drivers were seriously injured. Several people had to be extracted from the vehicles “through electronic means.” Drivers and passengers were taken to various hospitals — some by air. Everyone else survived their injuries except for the 14-year-old, who died after several days in the hospital.

The woman charged with DUI was taken to Oldham County Detention Center. She was released after she posted bond.

The criminal justice system can impose harsh penalties on someone convicted of DUI. However, regardless of what happens there, victims and surviving loved ones of someone killed by a drunk or drugged driver still have a right to seek compensation from them in civil court. This can help them get the money they need for medical bills, burial costs and other expenses as well as pain and suffering and other noneconomic damages. An experienced attorney can provide guidance to help you.


FindLaw Network